Should I Or Shouldn’t I?

Lee Mac Arthur
2 min readAug 11, 2021

Several months ago, I purchased a ticket to go to Sweden for one week stopping in Iceland on my way back. At the time, I hoped that both countries would be open.

Not long after, Sweden opened up to citizens of the United States who were vaccinated and willing to take a test prior to arriving. Iceland at that time was open to fully the fully vaccinated.

At the end of July, Iceland implemented the required test before boarding the plane requirement. Doesn’t matter if you’ve been vaccinated or not, the negative test is still required. In addition, the United States implemented the rule of having a negative Covid test taken prior to returning.

Within the past 24 hours, Iceland has been reclassified as level 4 which means the CDC recommends that United States Citizens do not travel there. So now I have to think long and hard if I still want to travel. I am the first to admit that I’ve missed traveling since Covid arrived.

I was all set to travel to Australia, New Zealand, and Fiji during the summer of 2020 but that was cancelled due to the lock downs in Australia and New Zealand which meant I couldn’t get to Fiji because I was due to fly from Australia to Fiji and back. It would have been a 3 week trip.

I ended up not going anywhere that summer. This summer, I managed a short trip to Washington State to see my parents for the first time since the beginning of pandemic and I had to make a second trip when my mother ended up in the hospital dying.

After being stuck at home with no chance to travel for over a year. I needed to travel so I booked a bunch of trips for the fall, the first one heading to Europe since I felt I’d love to get out of the United States. The rest of the trips are one a month through December.

I need to travel. I need to see new things. I need to get out. These changing regulations for International travel means, I need to sit down and decide if I want to chance visiting a level four country or if I want to expose myself to possible exposure to the virus. I’ll have to think long and hard on it before I make the final decision.

I admit to being completely conflicted on the topic. I want to go. I love visiting Iceland. I want to see Sweden. So do I visit it this year or do I put it off for another year. At this point in time, I don’t know.

Let me know what you think, I’d love to hear. Have a great day.